Preparing to Move Home
If you decide to pack your own effects, we strongly advise that you commence the sorting and packing well before the removal date. If you require us to supply packing cartons you should arrange with us that these materials are delivered two to three weeks before the actual move date. Whatever you do, please do not fall into the trap of thinking that you will
be able to pack and prepare your effects on the day before the move.
Briefly note the contents on the outside of each carton you pack and from which room the items came from. This will help you should you need to find something in a hurry.
- Do not pack any documents that may be required prior to the move or whilst your effects are in our care (Passports, Vehicle Registration House Sale/ Purchase)
- Do not pack valuables in with the household effects to be moved by us, as items such as jewellery and cash will be specifically excluded from any transit insurance cover. All valuables including cash, should be hand carried by you personally on the day of the move.
- Do not overfill or make cartons too heavy, if you can’t lift the box then our removal staff probably can’t either.
- Do not pack the children’s favourite toys
- If you have lots of books, these should be packed into smaller cartons. We can supply special book cartons if required
- Ensure that all of the cartons are securely sealed with strong tape covering all of the seams.
Please note that if you have agreed with us that you will pack your own effects yourself, this needs to be completed prior to move day.
Before You Move
Defrost the fridge and freezer thoroughly the day before the actual move date. Once your completion date has been confirmed you should notify us immediately to confirm and agree the move schedule.
You should then inform all necessary parties of your moving date and your new address. We would suggest that you arrange with the Post Office to forward all mail to your new home once you have moved, this needs to be applied for approximately 7 days prior to vacating.
Arrange to have your Gas and Electricity meters read on the day you move.
A basic checklist for any house move:
- Cancel subscriptions
- Loans / HP agreements
- Finalise bills and cover change of address
- Notify bank and change details
- Reduce frozen foods
- Arrange change of GP
- Arrange change of dentist
- Register with schools and other institutions in your new area
Change of Address Checklist
Remember to notify the following ahead of your move:
- Gas / electric
- Credit cards / store cards
- Council tax
- Inland Revenue